Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Wake up call!


All those who know me should know that I am addicted to fast food and have been ever since I got my license when I was 16. I always knew it wasn't good for me but oh well it tasted good. Well yesterday I had to go get blood work done and I found out that I have high cholesterol. I always thought I might just because my diet is so bad but now I know I do. My level is a 226 and it should be 200 or lower. So today I did some research, went and picked up a heart healthy cookbook, and am on a mission to get healthy! For heavens sake I'm only 20 years old. I SHOULD NOT HAVE HIGH CHOLESTEROL AT 20 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!


Since I'm going to be cooking and using food to lower my cholesterol I will share my dinner recipes in hope that all of us can get healthier!


Wish me luck and her goes...



Make Ahead Cheese and Hamburger Casserole


1 pound low fat ground beef

i cup chopped onion

3 garlic cloves, crushed

6 tablespoons tomato paste

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon dried thyme

i teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped

1/2 cup all purpose flour

2 1/2 cups fat free milk

1 cup crumbled feta

3/4 cup shredded part skim mozzarella

4 cups uncooked penne


1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large non-stick skillet, and cook over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add tomato paste and next 5 ingredients, stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. remove from heat.

2. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, level with a knife. Place flour in medium saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Place over medium heat, cook 10 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, cook 3 minutes or until cheese is melted, stirring constantly. Reserve 1/2 cup cheese sauce, set aside. Pour remaining cheese sauce, beef mixture, and pasta in 13x9 inch baking dish, stir gently. Drizzle reserved sauce over top. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.

3. Preheat over to 350 degrees

4. Bake at 350 covered, for one hour and ten minutes or until thoroughly heated.


Yields 8 servings


*The penne doesn't have to be cooked beforehand because it absorbs the liquid when the dish is refrigerated overnight. If you want to make it the same day, cook the pasta before adding it to the other ingredients.

2 comments:

  1. I work in Cardiac-ICU... please don't be our next patient! Glad you're making a change! Good luck on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good. Good luck! Mike has lowered his colesterol by about 60 pts by eating healthy and exercising. You can do it too.

    ReplyDelete